gain[z] box

A Little Olympics With Your Carrot Loaf?

March 2, 2018





Hey! How’s it goin’? Did you have a good week? I sure hope so.
Well, the Olympics have ended. Did you watch the Olympics? I’m pretty sure that is all we watched in my house for the past few weeks. Can we all agree Curling is boring? I mean, it’s glorified sweeping right? Whenever I Swiffer mop my kitchen I should just post that I’m training. Oh curling, maybe your fun to “play” as opposed to watch. That is how I feel about soccer, tennis and pool. Boring to watch, fun to play.

Our men’s curling team look like members of the Water Buffalos. If you ever watched the Flintstones growing up you know that reference, LOL.  They did win gold though! That was exciting, especially since it doesn’t really seem like the U.S. has the winter Olympics on lock like we do with the summer Olympics. Maybe it’s because the winter Olympics are so un-original?
During the summer Olympics there is such variety; swimming, gymnastics, pole vault, golf, skeet shooting. The list goes on and on. In the winter Olympics it’s 12,000 varieties of figure skating, 100 different snowboard events, Skiing events for all occasions such as long slalom, short slalom, medium slalom, curve slalom, uphill ski, down hill ski, ski around a track, ski around a track and shoot stuff while wearing retro sun glasses. Yo, biathlon, the 90’s called, they want their eye wear back. WHAT THE WHAT! I need more variety Winter Olympics! It would up your viewership for sure. 

I really can’t complain because I now want to go out and become an epic snowboarder. Even though I have never skied, hate being cold and I’m 34. But you know…..chase your dreams and stuff. My luck I would break something on my first run. Speaking of which, did anyone else notice there seemed to be a ton of injuries this Olympics? What was going on over there in Pyeong Chang? Some dude broke his pelvis, a snowboard chick totally ate it at the bottom of the half pipe…..like literally….mouth, meet snow. OUCH! I saw so many little stretcher people picking up athletes and skiing them to safety. Sheesh. 
The Olympics, summer, winter, doesn’t matter, always fire up my competitive side. They make me want to race the person on the treadmill next to me, out squat the dude that just left the squat rack, I love it. And I miss it. I miss swimming and I miss running purely for the competitive nature. But, what would I possibly compete at now? Maybe powerlifting? I think I could do that. Recreational sports have been in the back of my mind like kickball or something. Who knows. As I discussed in my last post I have started taking Yoga. I have to remind myself from time to time that we are not competing in a pose off. There are no winners or losers in Yoga. LOL, I mean really, what am I going to accomplish by trying to win at Yoga? #yogasohard #yogaharderthanme #zenmaster  
Ok moving on from the Olympics. Since my schedule has been a whirlwind since September of last year I haven’t had time for many things especially one of my favorite past times……baking. I love to bake. Baking makes people happy. Has anyone ever given someone a homemade brownie, or cookie or cupcake and they were sad about it? Nope! But baking takes time. I used to bake 1-2 times per week. Now I’m lucky if it’s once per month. Well, I subscribe to the PaleOMG newsletter. If you don’t know PaleOMG get on my level! LOL j/k, she’s (Julie Bauer) just awesome and you should check her out. Anywho, I received her recent newsletter and she had a recipe for Frosted Carrot Loaf. I saw her deliciously beautiful picture of this bread and I had to try it. Luckily, I only had two ingredients to pick up. Everything else I had on hand at home. The recipe called for Kite Hill Almond Cream Cheese. Amazon was sold out, so I went on the Kite Hill website and used the store locator and found WholeFoods sells it. I picked it up on the way home. Cheap? No, but I really wanted to make this bread.

I was so tired and just cranky by the time I got home last Friday evening the idea of baking a bread, that I had been so gung ho about earlier, did not sound enticing BUT I followed through.  Well….even in my exhaustion the bread turned out great! And the cream cheese frosting……DELISH! You would never know it wasn’t Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Even the hubs was obsessed with this bread. PaleOMG knocked it out of the park, again, with this one. You should check out this recipe and her other yummy recipes on her blog.

I took my mom a couple slices of the bread on Sunday when I went to visit with her. She absolutely loved it. The best part is the recipe has shredded carrots in it. Any way I can find to get more vegetables in my moms diet I’m in like Flynn! What is it with older people? They seem to operate in two extremes. You have those that walk everyday and eat a clean diet then you have the other half that only eat carbs. Its like the first half want to live forever and the other half says “Aww to hell with it,” and they just eat crap. I think based on my earlier comment you know which camp my mom is in. ::Sigh:: If I do nothing else with this nutrition degree my goal is to help my mom live a healthier life style for the simple fact it will make her feel better. And show her there are delicious foods outside of cookies and bread she can enjoy. Parents…am I right?!
The next recipe I have on deck….flourless chocolate cake! I have been trying to make this recipe for months now and it never happens. And let me just say, not enough restaurants offer flourless chocolate cake. What’s up with that? Flourless chocolate cake is amaze-balls! It should be on every menu. Just sayin’.  I have a couple recipes for it I found on Pinterest that I want to try. Whichever one I choose should turn out well. Out of all the recipes I have tried from Pinterest I think only 2 have failed. Maybe i'll do two or three and do a taste test for ya. Oh dear, I’m getting too ambitious. I don’t even have time to make one cake let alone 2-3. We’ll see.
Have a great weekend!


Hey! Give me a follow on the socials! Just click the icons below and they will take you right to me. You'll get to see more of my sunny face!




2 comments

  1. I totally missed all Olympic events =-( Thank you for the recap. Guess I didn't miss much, just 12,00 varieties of figure skating. lol. Im sure your bread is relish, but it does look a bit like meatloaf at first glance. I may have to give the recipe a try. Glad to see you are well, and still funny as always! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you're right! LOL it does look like meatloaf! Obviously my photography skills need work :) But yes, go check out PaleOMG for a way better picture.

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.