gain[z] box

She Came, She Saw, She Kinda, Almost, Conquered

March 30, 2018





What up fam! Hope your week has been lit! Oh, who am I kidding……. I’m 35. All of that just sounds weird LOL. So, how are you? What’s new? Nothing to crazy over here. I’m totally dragging because I started my week off all wrong. I didn’t go to bed until almost 10:00pm Sunday night. I know, I know, I’m such a rebel. I stayed up an extra 45 minutes past my bed time. WWWWHHHHHOOOOOAAAAA! Can you even handle me right now? And I waited until Monday morning to pack my food for the day..UGH. I mean, it’s already time consuming but then to be under time constraints and trying to do that…oh..no. Oh well, what are you gonna do. 
This past weekend was a pretty eye opening and a fun couple of days. Saturday morning, I hit the gym bright and early because I had an interview an hour across town for a personal training internship.  No, I’m not leaving my full-time job, this would be part time and would help me gain more experience and learn the business.  On my way to the interview I was going over questions that may be asked and how I might answer them. Yes, I did this out loud to myself. No shame in my game. Being that I do not have tint on my truck, I’m sure the neighboring vehicles were concerned. So, one of the questions I anticipated was, “What was the reason for your delay in pursuing a career as a personal trainer?”  As I answered this to myself I had this weird moment of clarity. It was never really that I didn’t want to be a personal trainer, or I wanted to pursue a career in insurance, it was mostly that I didn’t feel I looked the part. Even at my thinnest, not even eating 1,000 calories a day, I felt fat. I felt like I didn’t look fit enough to be a personal trainer. I often thought “Who would take fitness advice from me when I don’t even look fit?” Man, that made me feel so sad for my former self. I wasted so much time being so caught up in feeling less than. But, having those conversations with myself on the way really helped me open up and present my true self during my interview, so it was a win. Did I get the internship? Not sure yet, they had others to interview and said they would contact me. So, that could go either way. We’ll see. 
After that I went home and put on some workout clothes. The hubs and I were going to Vertical Ventures, an indoor rock climbing gym! I had been there years ago with my nephew, but my husband had never been and wanted to try it. When we got there, they ran us through a brief class on how to use the equipment and climb safely. Let me tell you, if that is not a relationship building experience I don’t know what is! You have to fall from near the top of the wall which is like 100 ft high….ok maybe not that high, but it was really high, and your partner at the bottom has to stop your fall and gently lower you to the ground. Scary! But, we both passed! They then gave us free rein on the gym. We climbed a couple sections. My husband is just a beast. He was like freakin’ spider-man. He has great grip strength and upper body strength, so this was like child’s play for him.

Me, I did pretty good. I definitely have a lot more grip and upper body strength since the last time I went. Plus, having my husband there, I wasn’t scared to fall. Then we gave the treadwall a try. It’s like a treadmill but upright with rocks to climb. That took a second to get used to, but it ended up being my favorite part! I can’t wait to get back in there and do it again!

OH! and I almost did a pull up! If you have read any of my earlier blog posts I was on a kick for awhile to do one pull up…just one! Well, for some reason my arms don’t bend, and I got tired of not progressing, so I gave up on that dream. Yes! I know! I GAVE UP! UGHHHHHHH so depressing! Well, they had these hanging cones, so you can work on your grip. I hung on them and was playing around and tried to pull myself up. Well, my elbows bent! I went about ¼ of the way. Hey, for me that’s progress. Then I had my husband hold my feet and I got 2 full pull ups! WHAT WHAT! So stoked! Now all I want to do Is practice pull ups. 
After Vertical Ventures……P.S. Your first visit, they give you two weeks free to use the climbing gym. Ok, so, after that we had planned on going to the beach. Well, when we got down to the beach it was all of sudden like the artic north, so we just walked up and down the beach. It was nice and peaceful. The beach we went to allows dogs, so it was fun to see all the dogs running around and having a great time. I certainly needed and welcomed the fresh air, even though it was chilly. All in all it was nice afternoon. I wanted to kick myself later for it though because when I got home it was like full on stress mode trying to get everything cooked/baked for the next days festivities, but I survived. 
So, the next day I celebrated my birthday with the amazing women in my life. My Mom, sisters, nieces and I went to Painting with a Twist. We brought brunchy foods and had mimosas while we painted the most adorable flower pots with daisies. We all had a great time, even my mom! And she did great by the way. So glad we could all get together. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of any of the food!!!!! But I did get these cute pictures.


We did pretty good huh?!
After the painting, we went back to my mom’s for cake. My cake turned out ok. It looked NOTHING like the picture. In my freaked-out moment the night before I fought with that cake and the cake won. It tasted good though. I was slightly disappointed because I thought I had covered all of the bases. The food I prepared was grain free, low/no sugar, vegetarian and seed free. But that cake……I didn’t even think about it. The frosting had strawberry preserve in it……my one sister can’t eat seeds. Whomp whomp! FAIL! ::sigh:: I tried. But, at least one of the snicker doodle muffins I made was left so she had that in lieu of cake and those muffins are delish….the bomb…amaze balls! Shout out to Against All Grains for that recipe. It’s a winner, winner chicken dinner if you couldn’t tell.
It was a good weekend. 
So that leaves us where this whole post started. Sunday night I was up until 10:00pm. Monday morning I was running around like a mad person and then Monday night. Oh Monday night. Monday is my Yoga night. One hour and 20 minutes to focus on nothing but breathing, my body and just being in the moment. Well that was ruined by a shit ton of traffic. I had to miss my yoga class!!!!!! Errrgggg Traffic. Darn you people who can’t drive. So I signed up to take a class tonight. It will be a nice way to kick off this Easter weekend. Do you have any Easter plans? Do you even celebrate Easter? Easter day is going to be full of craziness going from one house to the next but I’m looking forward to it. And of course I’ll be cooking and baking. Don’t worry, I won’t back myself into a corner this weekend. I’ve already made sure I’ll have plenty of time to make everything. It should be smooth sailing. I’ll take pictures of the food I make this time so I can share the links to the recipes with you. 
All right! I think you read enough from me today. Have a great weekend peoples!
Follow me on the socials. I’ve been pinning more recipes and posting more workout snippets to help give you some ideas for your routine.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.