gain[z] box

Stay on Track with these Trip Tricks!

April 14, 2017



 Man.....say that post title 3 times fast!

Wow! If you’re reading this then we are probably on our lay over in Dallas on our way to Hawaii!!!! We are finally going on our honeymoon. I never thought I would want to go to Hawaii. I felt it sounded so cliché to say we’re going to Hawaii on our honeymoon but when we started researching all there is to do it just makes sense. Plus, I really want to see more of the United States before I travel out of the country and I think Hawaii, being the furthest state away, is a great place to start! I am so excited to go hiking, try surfing, partake in some history and go swimming with the sea turtles! It’s going to be amazing!

I feel like I am difficult to travel with. Check that….I KNOW I’m difficult to travel with. I drink so much water, which means frequent pit stops, I eat so frequently and you know I’m going to have to get my gym time in. Luckily, the hubs is quite versed in my antics so it doesn’t seem to bother him. It probably does a little but he’s a good sport about it. To make it easier on myself and whomever I’m traveling with I try to plan ahead and create a schedule for myself as to not interfere with what others want to do.

We took off early this morning. I know the flight is going to be forever long. Plus, once we get there I know we will want to hit the beach. So, EARLY EARLY this morning I drug myself out of bed to hit the gym. Check out the blogs Instagram for that lovely video. I am so pretty in the morning LOL. I figured hitting the gym prior to take off would help me sleep on the flight because I won’t have so much pent up energy. I mean, I get antsy on a two-hour flight. I can’t imagine this 10+ hour flight. AHHHHHHHHH!

Check out the adorable neck pillow I bought! You’re so jealous right?!



That being said, I wanted to share with you all how I prepared for this trip. I want to share my travel tips with you all from food to staying active and everything in between.

Planning for a trip in general can cause stress. Especially when others are involved. I find now that my diet is limited and I follow and stick to my workout routine while away, it can make travelling even more stressful. I order to combat that stress I plan ahead as much as possible to make it a more enjoyable experience for myself and those around me.

Once I know a trip is coming my first thought is where are we staying? Are we staying with friends/family? Are we staying in a hotel? If we are staying with friends/family I search to find the closest gym. I check out their hours to make sure they open early and I look to see if they do free day passes. If we are staying in a hotel it is a requirement for me that the hotel has a gym. If there is not a hotel with in close proximity that has a gym I try to find a gym in the area or see if there is a trail or park nearby so I can take my workout outside. Fitness is an important part of any trip for me as it sets the tone for my day. If you’re looking to skip the gym ‘cuz you’re on vacation…duh! Plan a few activities that will get you moving. I am planning on going hiking a few times while we are away and we already have a kayak trip scheduled! My sister bought me a Frommers book. Yah, I didn’t know what it was either but it has totally been an amazing way to plan our excursions and find active things to do each day. It was especially helpful in finding activities or sites to visit that we would have never known about! So, thanks sis for that one!

While I’m stalking down the local gym on line I also check out restaurants in the area. Do they have menu items I can eat? Are they in the price range we want to stay in? Is there a grocery store nearby so we can stock up and don’t have to eat out for every meal? Searching on line to answer these questions helps me save money, time and stay on track nutritionally. For this trip I found a couple grocery stores near our hotel and they have a Whole Foods! So, no matter what I know there is a place with stuff I can eat! We’re lucky enough to have a room with a kitchen so we will cook as much as we can while we’re there. Plus, we love to sit out on the balcony and enjoy breakfast together. Awwww I know…cheesy, right?! But, we don’t get a chance to enjoy breakfast together that often so when we go away we really make an effort to enjoy that time together.

As you can see I do a bit of prep prior to travel day. I also take steps on travel day to stay on track so I don’t end up eating everything in sight. Whenever I travel I always bring snacks. No matter how close or how far I’m going I bring snacks. You never know what may cause a delay or if you will have a chance to grab a bite to eat so it’s always good to be prepared. Having snacks on hand helps to avoid low blood sugar and becoming hangry. And let me tell you, I get hangry!

Since we will be flying for soooooooo long and we have one lay over in Dallas that pretty short, I brought plenty of snacks. Here is what I have in my carry on:



RX Bar/Quest Bar

Baby Carrots

Cashews/Almonds

Chicken




Some other great snack ideas include Lara bars, Lara bites, celery sticks with almond butter, and jerky. It’s good to find snacks you can put in a plastic baggy because it’s hard to take any kind of container on a plane.

OH! Speaking of snacks, when we flew Jet Blue to Boston back in December they offered Terra Chips! Yah! A true gluten free option! I couldn’t believe it. I was so excited. But I digress.

Unfortunately, I can’t bring my giant water bottle with me anymore so I make sure to purchase a bottle of water once I get through security. Granted it costs me $5.00 when I would normally pay about $2.00 for 1.5 Liter bottle but whatever. I also, make sure I ask for water on the plane. As much as I don’t want to have to pee midflight it’s important to stay hydrated and walking to the bathroom and back helps with circulation.

Other than that, enjoy whatever trip you venture on. I hope my trip tips have helped. Try not to consume too much of your time dwelling on exercising and eating right if you’re going on vacation. We all need a break sometimes and you don’t want to miss life’s moments because they go by so fast. So, remember to do your best to be active and eat consciously. Most of all have a great time! I can’t wait to share my adventures of the upcoming week with you all.

Follow along on Instagram for videos and photos of what we’re doing.


Don’t forget to follow on Pinterest! I pin new recipes and workouts daily. I also have a board full of helpful tricks and tips for all kinds of stuff!


Finally, make sure you follow the blog in the upper right hand corner! I’ll be doing a giveaway when I get back 😊 You can only win if you follow the blog.

Aloha!






Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.