gain[z] box

Use What You Have....The Couch Workout

July 7, 2017





I remember growing up and never wanting anything to change. I didn’t want to move to Texas when my mom was transferred there for her job. I was devastated when my sister found out she was pregnant because I wanted to stay the baby of the family and I certainly didn’t want to move back to Florida when my sister had my first nephew. (P.s. there is a happy ending to the story and I couldn’t love him more if I tried!) I didn’t even want to leave high school. I was never a big fan of change. I guess that’s why I have always been a great employee. I never leave! Partly because I fear the unknown when it comes to work and I feel guilty leaving the company with a position to fill. Silly right?! 

Now that I’m older all I want is change. I crave it. For example, I hate living in one place for too long. We have been in our townhome now for 5 years and its starting to drive me batty. I feel like we have to either start making changes to the townhome or we need to move tomorrow! I couldn’t wait to cut my hair short after my wedding and a couple months in I’m dying for it to be long again. And now something else has crossed my path. I feel very much in limbo. I want to move forward and take the next step but I can’t right now…or at least as fast I  would like too but I don’t want to stay in the same place either. It’s a total mind F%*#. Have you ever felt like that? It kind of consumes you and then because you can’t move forward with what you really want the smaller things that you have put off changing are rearing their ugly head so you start obsessing over those too!!!!???? Please tell me I’m not the only crazy one! Sheesh. 

In a nutshell, I’m just tired of being tired ALL.OF.THE.TIME. And trying to get to a place where I’m not so tired all of the time is like riding a turtle through a desert, up a sand dune. UGH!

So, please comment below if you’re bat sh%& crazy like me! 

Anywho…..how was your 4th of July? Did you eat lots of yummy food? Did you see fireworks? My 4th was very relaxing. The hubs and I spent the day with his family. It was nice just to sit and do nothing. For lunch/dinner we had Lobsters as they do every year. They were delicious as always! As far as fireworks I was in bed when those started. I had to work Wednesday. Bummer. I had to work Monday too! Darn it, I know it’s the 4th of July but can we please make it mandatory that the calendar should always have the 4th on a Friday or a Monday? That doesn’t make sense, I know, but seriously. Is that too much to ask?  

Ok, on to what you really came here for. My monthly Use What You Have post. 

This time, all you need is a couch and a TV. Yup! You read that right! 

I’m going to give you some ways to get your workout on while watching your favorite shows! 
** WARNING…..You Will Have to Let the Commercials Run.***

If you remember, wwwaaaayyyy back in the day people actually had to get up and walk to the TV to change the channel. We are decades removed from that with the wonderful invention of the remote but turning on the TV and changing the channels and adjusting the volume are all opportunities to get some Couch Squats in! 

Do as many reps as it takes to get to the channel or volume your searching for!


Exercising your way through a TV show is a great way to get some HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) in, which can burn a lot calories if done right! The key is to push your hardest during the exercise and then let your body recover and repeat. Sooooo during the show take your rest then when commercials come on go hard! Or…if your working out in your jammies like me you can just have a leisurely  workout. Either way, you’re moving and that is the ultimate goal!

Here are some ways to get moving during commercials!

Stationary Living Room Lunges

Jumping Jacks
Couch Dips

High Knees
Butt Kicks
Work those legs with the Squat Touch and Reach, If you’re feeling fancy turn this baby into a jump squat!

How ‘bout hitting those shoulders with some arm circles. Rotate forward for one commercial then backward for the next. Continue alternating until your show returns.

Finish it up with some abs!

See! Its pretty easy to get a workout in even when you think you don't have time!

Oh! and before I forget, lets take a moment to appreciate that totally tubular fruit lamp in the back ground! Cool right! It was my Great Grandmothers.....don't be jealous. 

Check out the blogs Pinterest for some more at home workout ideas!


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.