gain[z] box

Barbells and Apple Crisp

July 14, 2017






Hey you! What it do? 

So this past weekend the hubs and I went to bootcamp. We haven’t been in awhile as I had taken some time off to really work on my squats, deadlifts and bench press. It was nice to be back with the Impact Fitness Crew. We used the sleds which is my absolute favorite! I want one of my own. Does anyone know where I can get one? Or do I need to solder that bad boy together myself? It might be cheaper to do it myself. I dunno. Just google it Jennifer…geez! 

Anywho…..we did that and then we all went to breakfast just like old times. We’re officially Saturday morning boot campers again and its great! Then we completed the wellness portion of our morning and went over to Cry-X to got our  will freeze on. Let me tell you, after that we went to the outlet mall and my body temp stayed pretty cool the entire time we were there after our session which was amazing because it was 100 degrees with 100% humidity! Oh Florida…………..

Ooo and we went to the Costco, can't for get Costco! I know, I know you’re thinking Jennifer how do you keep up with your wild and crazy lifestyle. I mean, even I wonder that myself sometimes. LOL

So Saturday afternoon when we arrived home from all of our adventures I felt like baking. I don't really bake to much anymore. It's just not as fun and a lot more expensive when you have to use specialty ingredients as opposed to your typical flour and sugar. But I was inspired. 

A few Sams club visits by the husband have introduce me to this amazingly delicious snack mix, Golden Tree Original Nut & Seed Clusters And!!!!!!!! It’s Paleo! What the what?! Yes, you read right. It's so yummy that I asked him not to buy it anymore because I totally go ham on it and it's gone in 2-3 days. While it is all natural, all paleo goodness, too much of anything is not good for you. And I don't like feeling guilty about food I consume. I'm not about that life anymore, so I just choose not to have it in the house. But, that being said a couple weekends ago I asked him to buy some. What kept me from plowing through a whole bag was that I really wanted to try to make apple crisp out of it. I used to make different apple crisp recipes all the time because my husband loved it so this had me inspired to try to create something he would love and I could enjoy all in one delicious dish! 

Let me tell you……….it came out AMAZING! He loved it! So I wanted to share it with you all. 

So during our trip to Costco I picked up some green apples. They are the best for baking and the rest I can eat during the week. I'm starting Macros next week. Like dedicating my life to them, which requires me to eat a shit ton of carbohydrates. That is something I am not used to. It will be super difficult since I can't eat grains even if I wanted to. So, I will be introducing a lot more fruit into my diet. ::Sigh:: We shall see how this goes. 

Saturday afternoon I used four of the apples as my base for the apple crisp. 

I peeled and chopped all four apples. 

I do my peeling over the sink but if you do this make a note not to send the skin down the disposal. It can cause the disposal to clog and then because you don't want to stick your hand down in the disposal because it's scary and could chop your hand off your significant other or roommate or parent will have to do it and a lot of harsh language will be flying around. It's not pretty. 


Once the apples were peeled and chopped I placed them in medium sized bowl with a lid. 


I added the cinnamon, honey, vanilla and maple sugar. Then, I placed the lid on and shook it up to coat the apples. If you don't have a bowl with a lid you can use a rubber spatula or your hands to mix up the apples until coated. 



Once the apples were coated I placed the apples in a greased 8x8 glass dish. To grease the dish I used coconut oil in the cooking spray can. If you haven't found this stuff yet its fantastic! I usually get It at Trader Joe's but Publix sells it and so does Super Target!

Useing the same bowl I placed 3/4 of the bag of Golden Tree Nut & Seed Clusters in the empty bowl and used my hands to break apart the larger pieces. I then mixed in a pinch of salt, a pinch of cinnamon, maple sugar and ghee and stored until coated. 


Once the mixture was fully combined I placed it evenly over the top of the apples. 


Placed that puppy in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 

Then I covered it will tin foil to prevent the topping from burning and placed back in the oven for another 15 minutes. 

We ate it warm with some vanilla gelato. It was scrumptious!

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!


Have a great weekend guys! 


Barbells and Apple Crisp
A deliciously paleo take on the apple crisp your mom used to make!
Ingredients
  • 4 Green Apple
  • 2 teaspoons  cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 2 Tablespoon maple sugar (1 for the apples & 1 for the topping)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3/4 bag Golden Tree Nut & Seed Clusters
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup ghee (melted)
Instructions
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
-Spray an 8x8 glass cooking dish with Coconut oil cooking spray  
-Wash and peel apples Chop apples and place into a bowl with a lid 
-Add cinnamon, honey, vanilla and maple sugar to the apples 
-Place the lid on the bowl and shake to coat the apples.  
-Once the apples are coated spoon them into a prepared 8x8 glass baking dish. 
-In the same bowl place 3/4 of a bag of Golden Tree Nut & Seed clusters Break apart the larger pieces with a spoon or your hands 
-Add the salt, cinnamon, maple sugar and ghee to the bowl 
-Mix to combine Spread the topping evenly over the apples in the baking dish 
-Place in the center rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Then place tin foil over the dish to prevent the topping from burning and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes. 
-Serve warm

Details
Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4-6 servings

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.