gain[z] box

Let's Talk About Stress

July 21, 2017



Let’s talk about stress baby, let’s talk about you and me, let’s talk about all the good things and the bad things stress can bring. Let’s talk about stress, let’s talk about stress!

Ummm…if you didn’t sing that to the tune of Salt N’ Pepa’s Let’s Talk about Sex….then you need to leave right now, You Tube that ‘ish and then come back and try this again….ok?..ok!

So this post was supposed to be a Jennifer Tries post. I know, I know those seem to be peoples favorites but I felt compelled to discuss something that affects everyone. STRESS! Bum Bum BUUUUUUUMMMMMM! 

Yes, I said it…..the “S” word! And it is the worst! I mean, i’m sure there are several of you, just reading the word, begun to have a nervous twitch. Ugh! I hate stress. And the frustrating thing is that it comes in so many forms and it can just pop up out of nowhere and then BAM! You’re freakin’ stressed out! WTF! 

And the really crappy part is not only do we have to endure stress, it also has adverse affects on our bodies! It can cause imbalances that stick with us long after the particular stressor has come and gone. 

While there are several side effects of stress I could cover, in this post I want to focus on how stress can affect your weight. I also want to cover how stress can affect your performance in the gym. 

When trying to eat healthy and/or lose weight people can face many different obstacles. For some, it’s their peer group or family surroundings. For others it’s time. What many don’t realize is stress can be a contributing factor, if not the sole reason they are having trouble dropping the extra pounds. When stress wreaks havoc on the body it wreaks havoc on your weight too. 

When we experience stress our body releases cortisol the “stress hormone.” This increase in hormone causes a rise in insulin which makes you crave sugary  or fatty foods. Your body is pushed into a flight-or-fight response and craves additional calories as a survival technique.

Basically your body is saying “Holy shnikes Batman we’re gonna have to fight! We better eat up because food is fuel bro!” This is particularly prevalent with chronic stress. This is what causes us to crave those delicious comfort foods and overeat them. 

Where will you see this excess weight? Right in the ‘ol stomach. Yup! Right in the mid section of the body. Just enough to make your pants tight!  If you haven't changed your eating habits or workout routine and your noticing weight hanging around your middle, you may want to look at your day to day. Is it your job that causes you stress, your morning routine, a person in your life? 

A couple of years ago I worked in an environment that bred chronic stress. I was working 12 hour days, weekends, holidays. I even took my laptop on vacation so I wouldn’t fall behind! That’s just crazy town! It wasn’t until I spent 40 minutes in the stairwell one morning unable to compose myself or take a full breath that I knew I had to make a change. Looking back on pictures during my time in that environment I recognize how much weight I was holding onto. 

It’s just crazy. I was burnt out to the max. I was eating right, exercising like crazy but the stress had taken over my body and it just wouldn't let go. 

Have you ever been in a situation like that? Man, if I knew then what I know now……
Not only can stress affect your weight but it can affect your performance in the gym as well. 
Excuse me?! Nothing comes between me and my gym time. I bet your thinking, but isn’t going to the gym or being active supposed to help alleviate stress? 

The answer is yes. Regular exercise can be a great way to reduce stress and its affects on the body. Ah Hem…..Cortisol. But i’m not naming any names. But, if you’re a person…..like myself…..who works out pretty intensely on a regular basis you’re already producing enough cortisol. Add additional stress on top of the stress your body is going through during exercise and that’s a recipe for disaster!

Also, chronic stress can cause you to have trouble sleeping, increase your blood pressure and affect your immune system. This can lead to exhaustion which can make your regular workout routine feel like a real chore. 

Stress can cause fatigue in the muscles and hurt endurance as well. So, if your stressed out I wouldn't suggest training for a race or competition anytime soon. You most likely won't get the results you’re aiming for. 

Sooooo should you not go to the gym if your stressed out? No, don't be silly. You can totally still go to the gym. You should just take it down a notch. Try not to go balls to the wall while you’re going through a stressful time. Go for a more moderate exercise as to not send your cortisol into orbit. I know, I know, that sounds crazy. How will you ever get your gainzzzzzzzz?! Well, its better to ease up for a few days then to work your butt off to only be 5 steps behind. Ya know what i’m sayin’? Huh? Huh? 

So now that I've dropped some knowledge bombs on you let me offer some solutions!

Let’s be honest, we all know we can't get rid of stress. It won't magically disappear and when one stressor goes away another seems to rear its ugly head. Darn you stress! But, there are lots of ways we can get all zen and keep some of the evil stress monsters at bay. 

First you need to find out what is causing the stress in your life. Is it work? Is it family?

If work is the culprit, here is what I suggest. Remember, I am not a professional stress management person this is just what I find helps. Ok? Ok!

Get to work on time and leave on time. 
Every once in awhile you may have to stay for a special project or something but on the regular you should be working your designated hours. Coming in early and staying late are only going to cause undue stress. You need time away from work to reenergize for the next day. 

Take a lunch
To me, this is the most important. It can be enticing to stay at your desk thinking that extra 30min-1 hour is going to make a huge dent in your work load. In reality it won’t and you’ll just be burnt out by the end of the day.  Plus, you need to get away from your desk during the day. I suggest taking sometime during your lunch to walk around. Maybe 10-20 minutes go outside, walk around and clear your mind. You will feel ready to take on the rest of the day!

Take it one e-mail at a time
Or phone call, or client….what ever your field may require. Being able to multi-task is great but when you have a million things coming at your all at once it can become overwhelming quickly. So, take a step back and just take one task at a time. As you finish each task you will feel more accomplished and in turn less stressed. 
If you’re simply looking to eliminate daily stress to avoid weight gain some ideas you may try include: 

Eat mindfully
We are always on the go and most of the time our food is too. Try to make time to sit and enjoy one meal per day with out distractions. This will help keep you from mindless eating and give you time to process your stress. 

Journal
You may find it difficult to journal…or even remember to journal for that matter. But, if you get a couple journal entries in a few times per week it will help you get your feelings out. You can then evaluate them and see if you really need to be stressed out about whatever is bothering you. 

Read
OMG who has time to read these days?! No one! I joined a book club and it is soooooo difficult to find time to read. This last book, I had too much going on so I downloaded the audio version. Cheating? Maybe, but it offered the same escape a book does. Reading…or even an audio book can take you somewhere else for a little while and allow your mind to focus on something else. 

Those are just a few tips that I have found helpful.

Check out my Pinterest board Stress Management for additional stress remedies. 



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.