gain[z] box

Think before you drink

July 28, 2017



Whoa Nelly Furtado July is almost over! Where has the summer gone? Better yet, how come I have no tan and I live in Florida!!!!! WTF! In just a couple of weeks kids will be going back to school which means my commute time to work is going to double and before you know it…..Halloween. I can’t with how fast this year is flying by. If I could turn back  ti-ome! 

This past weekend I hung out with my brother-in-laws wife. Does that make her my sister-in-law? I’m not really sure how all of that works. When I try to figure it out in my head I feel like I'm trying to figure out a family tree with several branches of inbreeding. Like our 1st cousins got married to their own sisters. I dunno, it just sounds weird. Ya dig?

We were supposed to go paddle boarding which is my FAVORITE! I was so excited but darn you Florida! It was yucky weather all weekend. So what are two girls supposed to do when their beach plans get cancelled? Go eat Mexican food and have a cocktail of course! 

I wish I had a picture but clearly I was not camera ready. I hadn’t even showered after Saturday morning bootcamp because the ocean was supposed to cleanse my soul and my pits.We still had a lot of laughs and it was relaxing just to sit and chit chat. Plus, it gave me a blog post idea which is a win right there!

I thought I would help some brothers and sisters out by giving you the 411 on some low calorie adult beverages. This way you don't have to blow your calories for the day on liquid libations and you can still get some substantial meals in. Plus, you won't feel so gross, fluffy and bloated the next day! Whoop Whoop!

Blame it on the a-a-a-a-alcohol. 

When my sister-in-law, brother-in-laws wife, sister from another mister….whatever you want to call her fabulous self, and I went to lunch we totally had to get margaritas ‘cuz Mexican food. Duh! So, we each got a mid priced margarita that was made with fresh, organic ingredients. I try to look at the ingredients every time I order a drink out. I know the ingredients can have a huge impact on how I feel after the drink and the next morning. The more I can stay away from mixes the better. Mixes typically equal lots of unwanted, unneeded sugar which in turn leads to puffy face Jennifer. No body wants to see that. NOBODY!

So that would be my drink tip #1. Choose drinks with fresh ingredients. P.S. they are usually stronger too! You’ll get more bang for your buck!

If you like mixed drinks that include some sort of soda, i.e.Coke, sprite etc. Soda isn’t going to be your best choice but I guess you’re not really making the best choice if you’re drinking alcohol anyway right! Diet soda is going to be your better choice. For example, try a Captain and Diet. When I was on Weight Watchers, I drank these all of the time because they were only 2 points! Bonus!!

Here are some low calorie drink options: 

Gin and Tonic
107 cal

Vodka and Soda Water (My hubby’s current drink of choice)
67 cal

Mojito- Hey look! You’re so cool!
103 cal
Tequila Highball-I wanna try this one the next time I go out. Tequila and I get along and it helps me sleep like a baby

70 cal

White wine spritzer -I mean, we aren’t in the 90’s anymore but if you’re feeling nostalgic go for it!
97 cal
Light Beer-Depends on the brand. I’ve seen lower.

104 cal

Red Wine (5oz)- is that even a pour bro?
100 cal

Champagne- (4oz) if your fancy
90 cal


You know what else is great! Saving your money and making your own drinks at home! If you really wanna be social  just invite some peeps over. Plus, then you don't have to Uber home. Besides, homemade drinks are way better. 

I recently made a drink recipe by one of my favorite bloggers, Juli Bauer from PaleOMG. She posted a recipe for Watermelon Margaritas and I just had to try it! It’s made with all fresh ingredients and it was truly delicious! Go check it out. It will be a great end of summer drink for ya!

Want more lo-cal drinks or drinks you can make at home?! Check out my 'Drinks' board on Pinterest!




Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.