gain[z] box

Girl!.....Lift Those Weights!

August 4, 2017


AHHHH I’m so excited it’s Friday! Today the hubs and I are going to check out a new gym. I can’t wait to share our experience with you all. That is…unless it sucks but let’s be real, exercise is my jam so it won’t suck! I’m also super excited to actually have a weekend. I have just been so busy lately, especially on the weekends. It will be nice to just breath for a minute.

Remember my post about stress? Well, I need to practice what I preach because I’ve stressed my way into a kinked-out clavicle which has spread over my shoulder and into my back. UGH! So, yes, weekend please!

Oh, hey! before I forget!!! Me and the hubs were nominated for best local couple in Creative Loafing's Best of the Bay! I'm not sure who nominated us but it's so exciting so please go vote for us!! PPPPLLLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEE! Look how adorbs we are! 



Anywho, back to the gym talk. How many of you go to the gym? How many of you lift all of the weights? 

I love lifting all of the weights. Leg day and back day are my favorites. I can remember, however, back in the day when I was the cardio queen!  Mainly because I thought that was the be all, end all to lose fat and I dreamed of being a twig but also because I was intimidated to even glance at the weights. 

I remember going to my college gym, the first actual gym I ever went to, and the weight area was just macho land USA. I thought I didn’t belong there. Even on some of the weight machines I felt awkward because I didn’t know how to use them and didn’t want to look like an idiot. Like I really needed another reason for someone to make fun of me. Sheesh! Plus, I thought weight lifting would make me look manly and that is not what I was going for.

It wasn’t until I was in my mid twenties and being all adult and stuff that I joined a gym. Before that, I had done cardio workout videos….TurboJam was the ‘ish! I worked out in the apartment gym, went for runs, walks etc. When I first joined the gym after my college years, I just took classes. I sure as hell wasn’t going to try to do any of the machines or weights on my own and there’s safety in numbers am I right?! 

Through those classes I learned how to use weights properly and safely. I learned about reps and sets. It was great, it made me feel great and it kept me coming back each week. That and my instructor who I am still friends with today. He really set me up for success and continues to push me and motivate me. 


If you’re thinking of adding weight training to your workout regime I thought I could offer some helpful tips to take you from hell no to semi-pro!

First, let’s talk about the benefits of weight training. If you have the mind set, as I once did, that weights=bulk you’re wrong. I mean, certainly if that’s where you want to take your nutrition and training it can be done, but just lifting weights is not going to turn you into the incredible hulk. Weight trying has great benefits, even if your goal is to be in shape but not have big muscles!

These benefits include:

Improved bone density- this is especially important if you have a family history of osteoporosis
Improved metabolism- Lean muscle mass helps burn fat 
Improved mood/Helps fight depression
Improved sleep- Sleep is important more many reasons including maintaining a healthy weight
Improved heart health

Now let’s talk about where to begin. If you do not currently have a gym membership, or you do but are intimidated by the weight area try workout videos! I know, I know, seems cheesy. Annnnnndddd a lot of them are BUT they can offer a good basis for your training to come. Plus, you can do them in the comfort of your own home so no one has to see you make mistakes and you really have no excuse to not do it since you won't have to travel anywhere. 

Some workout videos I have liked include:

Xbox fitness- If you have an Xbox, this offers a variety of different videos, instructors and levels so you won't get bored. 
You Tube- You can’t go wrong with You Tube! It has a video for everything!

Each of these will require minimal equipment that needs to be purchased if you don’t have some already. If you do need to purchase some dumbbells, tubing etc try Craigslist, a fitness consignment shop or eBay and maybe Amazon. You’ll be able to get equipment at a reduced price. Plus, there is no need to brand new equipment when you’re just going to be banging it around anyway.

                                         

If you have a gym membership then you will have several more options like classes. As I said before, classes can be a great way to become more comfortable with weights and more educated on how to use them properly. Gyms also offer more options when it comes to weights. This is great but can add to the intimidation factor. I would suggest going to the gym at a different time. Now, this can be difficult if you only have a certain time you can go to the gym but, if at all possible, until you become comfortable sashaying over to the weights go at a different time. There are times that I want to try a new workout or something I have seen on Instagram but I fear embarassment so I will get to the gym a little earlier before the regulars arrive to try it out. Once I have it down, I will incorporate it into my normal schedule. 



A great tool to use is bodybuilding.com or the bodybuilding.com app for your phone. You can choose a workout that lasts from one day to several months. It tells you what exercises to do each day and each exercise offers a video on how to perform the movement. I have used this app a lot. Its a great resource. It’s another one that has an abundance of variety so you won't get bored and you can continue to improve. 

Ideally, if you are beginning weight training I would suggest meeting with a personal trainer. Now, I know you may be thinking. "You bougie bitch! You think I can afford a personal trainer?!" Yes, personal trainers can be costly but it doesn't hurt to check it out. Many gyms offer at least one complimentary personal training session and they can work within your budget. If you are only able to train with them once a week or once a month they can work to create a program for you that will help you not only keep your cash but improve your overall health and fitness. Having a personal trainer allows you that one on one interaction so they can help you not only achieve your goals but make sure you are doing the exercises properly and prevent injury. This will increase your confidence in the weight room so you are better prepared to attack the weights on your own!

If you truly can not afford a personal trainer but would like more individualized attention get some friends together. If two or three of you train together sometimes trainers will a give a discount which can be more affordable for you. 

Once, you’ve gained a little confidence just go for it! Yes, it can be intimidating and you may feel embarrassed but in all actuality no one really cares what you’re doing with the weights. They are too busy focused on their workout to really even realize you are there. So get in there, attack those weights, make all the gains and by your best self! 

I would love to hear from you all! If anyone has any other suggestions for beginning weight training please comment below so we can all benefit from your knowledge! 


Need some workout suggestions? Check out the blogs Workout Ideas Board on Pinterest for ideas!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Barbells and Boy Shorts. Design by FCD.